1/4 teaspoon each salt, turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cod steaks (about 2 lbs)
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon each whole fennel seeds and black mustard seeds
2 medium onions peeled and chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 lb can canned tomatoes, chopped
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
- Rub fish with salt, turmeric and cayenne. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Prepare ingredients for sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray ovenproof dish with oil, put fish steaks into oven for 10 minutes.
- Make the sauce – Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, put in the fennel seeds and mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop, put in the onions and garlic. Stir and fry the onions until they turn slightly brown. Put in the cumin and the salt. Stir and put in the tomatoes and their liquid and the garam masala. Bring to boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove dish from oven and pour sauce over fish. return to oven for 40 minutes or so.